Steven T. Baker provides consultation and testimony on the reasonable use of force by security personnel and civilians.
Civilians and security may become involved in situations (shootings, brandishing, threats with weapons, excessive force, false arrest, false imprisonment), where the reasonableness and legality of their actions are challenged.
Claims of excessive force, negligent security, assault, and battery, occur often in instances involving the use of less-lethal and deadly force.
Review of actions taken, firearm use, standard of care, and the education of the expert provide the foundation for determining the reasonableness of each parties’ actions.
We review the incident and opine based on local law, training standards, and the reasonableness of the use of force under the circumstances and conditions of the incident.
As an instructor-trainer (Master Instructor) in firearms, and less lethal devices (pepper spray, expandable baton, defensive tactics, handcuffing, and TASER) Mr. Baker possesses a practical and academic understanding of the use of deadly and less-lethal devices by civilians and security personnel. This allows Mr. Baker to analyze the use of force under the circumstances it was utilized and opine from a holistic perspective.
His experience teaching arrest-and-detention and use-of-force allow him to opine on not only proper use of the tool or tactic utilized, but whether the actions were reasonable under the circumstances of the incident.
Mr. Baker has over 30 years of use of force and firearm experience in the private sector including armed security, executive protection, training civilians and security officers. He has attended numerous firearm and use of force related training courses including security firearm training, tactical firearm, close quarters battle, concealed carry, force-on-force training, use-of-force, and legal updates.
Certifications and Training
STEVE HAS THE FOLLOWING USE-OF-FORCE RELATED CERTIFICATIONS AND TRAINING:
- Use of Deadly Force Instructor – Massad Ayoob
- Force Science Institute Basics Program – Force Science Institute
- Law of Self Defense Core Program – Andrew Branca
- Shooting Reconstruction Course – Forensic Pieces
Security Firearm Instructor
- NRA Law Enforcement Firearm Instructor: Handgun and Shotgun
- State of Nevada Private Investigators Licensing Board
- State of California Bureau of Security and Investigative Services
- State of Arizona Department of Public Safety
- Defense Tactics International Affiliate Instructor – John Farnum
- Defensive Tactics
- Pepper Spray Defense
- Handcuffing Tactics
- Defense Baton
- Management of Aggressive Behavior (MOAB)
- AVADE Workplace Violence Prevention
- AVADE Active Shooter
NRA Training Counselor Instructor Training
- Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home
- Chief Range Safety Officer
- Monadnock Defensive Tactics System (MDTS) Instructor
- Monadnock Basic and Advanced (MEB) Baton Instructor
- NRA Refuse to Be A Victim Instructor
- Prevention of In-Custody Death Instructor
- Verbal Defense and Influence Instructor (VDI)
Concealed Carry Instructor