Steven T. Baker, CPP, PSP, PCI
Security Expert Witness and Consultant
Steven T. Baker, CPP, PSP, PCI, is President of VTI Associates and has over 30 years of experience providing security, training, and investigative services.
His experience includes conducting vulnerability and risk assessments, security operations, investigations, executive protection, litigation support, and providing training in firearms and self-defense.
Having earned a Master of Science Degree in Security Administration from the University of Detroit, a Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice from Lake Superior State University, and an Associate of Science Degree in Business from Lansing Community College Steve continued his education while enrolled in the Public Affairs-Workforce Development and Organizational Leadership Doctoral program at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas.
While at UNLV Steve accumulated 50 post-master’s credits in research methods, criminology, education, and hospitality.
During my graduate studies I was involved in researching alcohol awareness programs, alcohol server interventions, and factors leading to aggression in licensed alcohol service venues
Steve has earned three board certifications, first in Security Management as a Certified Protection Professional (CPP), second, in Physical Security as a Physical Security Professional (PSP), and a third in Investigations as a Professional Certified Investigator (PCI), all granted by ASIS International.
Additionally, he has earned certification as a Certified Protection Officer (CPO) and a Certified Protection Officer Instructor (CPOI) by the International Foundation for Protection Officers (IFPO).
Having earned multiple instructor and instructor-trainer certifications in security related disciplines Steve frequently instructs on topics including firearms, defensive tactics, handcuffing, pepper spray, baton, tactical communication and incident de-escalation, and use-of-deadly force.
He is a state certified instructor for concealed firearms courses by the states of Nevada and Utah and a certified instructor for security officer firearms training in Nevada and formerly in Arizona and California. Steve teaches civilian firearm courses in his role as Training Counselor at the Boulder Rifle & Pistol Club in Boulder City, NV.
- ASIS International (American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS)
- Las Vegas Chapter of the American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS)
- International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association (ILEETA)
- International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (IALEFI)
- The International Association of Crime Analysts (IACA)
- The International Association of Certified Surveillance Professionals (IACSP)
- The International Association of Professional Security Consultants (IAPSC)
- Former Chapter Chairman and Education Committee Chairman for the Las Vegas Chapter of the American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS)
- ASIS Hospitality, Entertainment, and Tourism Council (HEAT)
- Founding member of the TASER Professional Security Advisory Board
- Nevada Private Investigators Licensing Board Firearm Curriculum Committee
- California Bureau of Security and Investigative Services Examination Review Committee
Teaching and Instruction
Steve has served as
- Instructor with the UNLV International Gaming Institute (IGI) lecturing on security for Bars, Nightclubs and Use-of-Force for Security
- Adjunct Instructor in Criminal Justice at the University of Phoenix
- Adjunct Instructor at Southwestern College
- Instructor with TAM Nevada’s Techniques of Alcohol Management course
- Security and Civilian Firearm Instructor
- Security Arrest and Detention and Arrest and Control Instructor
- Master instructor (instructor trainer) in eight security related disciplines
Steve holds professional licenses in five states
- Nevada – Private Investigator, Private Patrol Officer, Security Firearm Instructor
- Texas – Security Consultant, Private Investigator, Guard Company
- California – Private Investigator
- Arizona – Private Investigator
- Colorado – Private Investigator